So, I pretty much lost a week of writing — business travel, kid stuff, etc. It happens.
The little I did do involved further tweaks to Frigg’s story. Here’s the basics:
- Kept making her more active & made that activity directly related to earlier plot events
- Turned the new activity into a diversion for Frigg — i.e., things that happen to her cause her to look one way while the real threat is from the other direction.
Here’s how I have it the plots interleaved before the run up to the final event (Midwinter celebration):
- Odin is in Helheim figuring out what’s going to happen b/c he’s summoning, finally, a dead seeress. You know, as ya do.
- Vidar is in Utgard getting his butt kicked.
- Hyrrokin is on the team that’s doing the kicking.
- Hodir is on his way to Gladsheim to reconcile with his family.
- Vafthrudnir is with his buddy, the High Chief of the Jotunn, getting the troops ready.
- Frigg is figuring out that there’s a plot against her son Baldr’s life. ZOMG. However, Odin’s learning the same thing — from the dead seeress.
Which character has the real scoop? The reader knows. Frigg thinks she knows, but she’s wrong. Hopefully that creates some tension. Also, the reader doesn’t really know why this “major event” is happening or how it ties into the overarching plot. I hope.
Looking ahead, I’m 23 days from sending the manuscript to my editor. Tick, tock. Next week I hope to publish something more involved on the nature of the struggle between the Aesir and Jotunn, but we shall see!